Our re-built staircase has been complete for a little while now, but I only got around to photographing it today – so here it is!
The treads and risers were finished and white washed last month when we had our floors done upstairs, and I painted the uprights a few weeks ago slowly over the course of a few days. As with the rest of the woodwork in the house, I used 2 coats of the Johnstone’s Acrylic Satin for wood work, on top of 1 coat of the Johnstone’s Joncryl Primer Undercoat, making sure I did a gentle sanding before starting.
I’ve decided to leave the handrail and newel post unfinished for the time being (you will remember that we decided to keep the original ones!). I quite like how all the different colours it has been painted over its lifetime are slightly visible.
We still need to finish sanding and painting the plaster repair that Alex has neatly executed above the skirting on the rear wall – but its good enough for now! We haven’t got around to the top landing balustrade and handrail.. but at least the downstairs bit is looking sharp.
P.S. The slots are to provide a bit of ventilation and air circulation to the cupboard under the staircase. There was originally a surface mounted plastic grille at this end of the cupboard – so we replaced that with some cut out slots for a slicker look. To lessen the ‘blackness’ of the slots, I taped one of the white curtain fabric samples that I received when trying to select curtains to the back side! Job done!